Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Last Stop - Venice

I couldn't help but do one more post and that would be my last stop in Venice. I truly did love this city and thankful it was the last. The water was my favorite part; I enjoyed seeing how the city is set up. I can't imagine what it'd be like to live there but it was so fun to be a visitor. I am currently just home now - I have had a nice dinner with family and am feeling the 25 hour transit day set in, so I'm going to post this and then go fall asleep : )... 



LEFT: Jewish Ghetto; which was a favorite spot. I took a tour of 3 of the 5 synagogues they have (and allow you to see) and learned a lot about the history of the Jews in Venice back in the day. It's where we get the name "ghetto", originally pronounced I believe, "jetto". About 450 Jews now live in Venice but about 5,000 dwelt there when the city got it's first beginnings.  They came and went through a gate and wore a yellow or red hat when they left the gates. It was interesting. I also ate at a kosher restaurant after my tour as they were celebrating passover this week. It was pretty cool to see a side to Venice that I didn't expect.  

I wasn't actually able to get a pigeon to land on me. : ( sad about that but I think I didn't have the special touch...or maybe I just didn't have any crackers. That might have helped.

Kind of a sad but normal moment it seemed. Daughter & son finally had some pigeons land on them after quite a long wait to get them there after throwing many crackers. But the little girl did not like it. 



had to take a photo of this one.  waiter made a heart out of coco. it's the little things that make such a difference in my day ; ) 






this sweet lady let me take her photo









Notice the kids taking their parents photo. Cute.

Right: Train station is packed. Can't tell here but about got mobbed walking to my train with all the visitors trying to catch the afternoon ride out.  I spent my last night in Venice but the night before, I was staying with some amazing missionaries who live about 30 minutes outside. It was great to be able to just ride in and ride back out. Thanks, Stewarts!

Little boy on the train at the end of the day. Tons of people flock in and out of Venice from other cities - many Italian. So the trains are packed in the morning and afternoons. At the end of my trip, I tallied in my head around 20 hours were spent a train traveling to and from different cities. It's actually not all that bad. 2-3 hours here and there adds up but you should know the trains were my "think time" which is quite necessary for me to process my experiences. I didn't seem to have much think time else where so I was quite happy to get on them and pull out my books and journal. 

My second day in Venice, I went to Borano island which is in the lagoon. And that was really lovely! So glad that someone had suggested it to me; beautifully quaint - about 30 minute boat ride from Venice's shore. Known for the lace. Loved it. If you ever go, give yourself at least 2 hours to really enjoy this town. 


Thought it was funny how these ladies decided to station themselves in front of a clothesline with said garments...they were playing cards. : ) 

I heard a lot of not so great things about Venice but I actually really liked it.  I think it has a lot to do with the time of year, how hot it is, where you are staying, and other factors.  Traveling in general I think is a very personal thing.  Everyone is different and has a unique perspective on what they do and don't like when touring...how fast you walk, how many people you are with & their preferences, how much history do you appreciate, other interests and ways to enjoy a country for what it is. I am thankful for all the people that I met, the experiences I had, conversations and meals shared. I was in Italy 4 weeks including travel days.  I spent time in 11 cities during that time: Milan, Forli, Pontremoli, Cinque Terra, Florence, Rome, Pisa, Verona, Ala, Padova, Venice.  I am still relishing my experiences there and processing thoughts from my journey. Thank you for coming along with me; it made the trip more enjoyable knowing you were somehow with me.   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber,
Every day I check your blog with anticipation. Your photographs are amazing! Thank you for sharing all of your adventures in such a beautiful way. I hope Charlie & I can do the agrotourista route the next time we travel.
Blessings,
Mickey

Anonymous said...

Amber, thanks for taking me along on a wonderful, very blessed trip. I could really be a part of the journey, in a way. Your pics of Venice were lovely; I'm so glad you enjoyed the city. AND, I'm glad you're home!
I love you, Mom

Just Me said...

OK... just had to mention the colors of the buildings are amazing! Yes, the island is definitely on my list now. By the way, do you think people in Venice carry flood insurance? LOL Seriously Amber... great journey... great photos... great writing.