Thursday, March 22, 2012

Always on the Table

Today as I was setting the table for lunch, I was noticing how beautiful everything was and thought I would share what I have noticed is always on the table at each meal (lunch & dinner). The basics which are not really basic at all to me are every day occurrences here.  Also incorporating other photos I've taken of where these beauties came from. 

First off...on most days there are olives on the table. They come from the olive trees on the side of the hill which numbers at 500. Around 200 of them produce the olives, and the other 300 are in the process of maturing. 


In November they end up with around 800 kg of olives yielding around 170 kg of olive oil that they use in the restaurant and for their own consumption. It can also be purchased by anyone visiting. 

It is normal to have sparkling water as well as regular tap water at the table (or a mixture of both).  
And some parmesan for whatever pasta will be served.  



The cheese is not made at Monticino, but the salami is.  

 Usually some focaccia bread or other kind that is made in the kitchen. 

 And of course, we have already discussed the wine (see previous blog posting). 
This is the fresh, newer wine. 

Today in particular, the cook (Setti) made  Tagliolini which was as usual, amazing. And there she is below holding it as well. She had previously made the pasta by hand earlier this morning so when I touched the noodles b/f hitting the water to be boiled, they were soft and ply-able...oh my.  I wondered if you could just eat noodles before they had been cooked!?

And then sometimes they make use of the lettuce from the garden mixed in with other store bought lettuce. Their garden consists mostly of different kinds of cabbages and lettuce.

Also....always AT the table is Nevio & his son, Marco and this particular scene is quite normal. Marco is very affectionate and always coming up to his father at least once or twice during the meal to wrap his arms around him like this. Very sweet to watch. 

  So that is what is usually on the table here at Monticino which seems to be a normal Italian table.  I hope I am not blogging too much but it is quite addicting and there is a lot to share! Later tonight, I will probably (finally) post photos of the scenery of this precious place I am staying.  


4 comments:

Amanda Conley said...

You are not blogging too much. We are all living vicariously through you. I wish I was there! And I wish my table/garden always looked like that!

Just Me said...

Amber, you are NOT blogging too much. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience. I can only TRY to imagine the aromas of the olives, cheese, handmade pasta, wine, and the rest. If only we could store the memory of the aroma to breathe it in whenever we wish throughout the rest of our lives. I'm happy the weather is so wonderful there. I look forward to more of your blogging of your Italy experience! Bless you! and bon appetite! (French, but hey! It's still European, eh?) =)

Ashley said...

Amber, your definitely not posting too much - I really enjoy reading your posts! Please keep it up - I just love your photos.

It seems that Italians really do eat a lot of carbs -bread and pasta at the same meal? :) Do they eat many vegetables other than the salad? I LOVE learning about the way other cultures eat!

Lesli Douglass said...

My mouth watered at the olives!! Just resting in the little pool of olive oil. Oh my goodness. Food envy.