Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Plans

Naturally the question has been for myself as well as others...where will I go and what am I going to do while I'm in Italy.  So I thought I'd draw a little map of the places I have planned to go...on a Starbucks napkin nonetheless, in honor of my late father, Larry Beckham, who used to *always* write on napkins in restaurants. Love him for that. When I took a long trip to Rwanda, he wrote me a note on a stack of them. So, the napkin map is in honor of him. He would be very happy that I'm taking this trip...that I have this opportunity and the flexibility in life to do it.

{Please excuse the child-like drawing of a horse that is floating in the ocean & the over-sized bee buzzing by the tree.}

I will be there a month and spend about 12 days volunteering on two different agri-tourism locations that have some sort of farm, vineyard, gardens, etc. The other half, just traveling around.  I am a country girl at heart and hope to have a farm or land of my own someday. In the mean time, I thought I'd enjoy the experience of these Italian spots who offer that through an organization called www.wwoof.it  I will be helping them do whatever they need around their places, but also get a real Italian experience which is what I'm going for.  I am not much of a museum girl so if I make it into any, it will be a miracle and b/c I had a change of heart. However, I am sure I'll see what I can along the way though.   I look forward to seeing how my trip unfolds as I go. : )


  • Forli - the city where I'll be taking a train from Milan to meet Nevio, who is the father/husband/owner of a place that houses & trains a special type of horse called the Bardigiano. They mostly focus on this but also make their own olive oil, wine, pasta,  grow a garden & host guests at their bed & breakfast. It's nestled in the hills of the Emilia Romagna province. I'll be here a week volunteering in exchange for lodging & food (and I'm sure enjoyable company). After this full week, I'll then head towards Pentromoli.
  • Pentromoli is small town in Tuscany that my cousin's wife's family is from and have graciously offered to meet me along the way. I am really looking forward to meeting them (and Jessica, the cousin, in Milan at the bus station!) So grateful to have her kindness to greet me when I arrive. 
  • Heading to Cinque Terra to hike/walk through the 5 little towns along the coast in a day or two. Everyone who has gone says this is one of their favorite places in Italy and I cannot wait to experience it.
  • I have about a week to explore Florence, Rome and then hopefully the Island of Capri before heading to Verona where I will then spend 1-2 days before I get on a train to Ala. 
  • Ala will be the little town in the northern part of Italy where I'll have another opportunity to have a volunteer/exchange with a small B&B. The place has lots of trails and forestry, they raise some cattle that are for cheese making purposes, they have a small garden and also focus their energies on bee-keeping.  I look forward to meeting Alice & Alexander here and spend 4 days with them. 
  • Venice will be my last stop and I hope to unwind here, spend Easter in a beautiful church, ride a gondola  and stroll through the winding streets. 
I leave tomorrow, March 15th so today I'm wrapping up stuff and packing my little suitcase (little as in, I hope to fit it in the overhead compartment). Yep, and my regular-sized back pack. So until then...thanks for following along.

4 comments:

Briana said...

i'm so glad you are going to cinque terra! I have heard its wonderful! I love the napkin map....and you are so right. Dad would LOVE that you are taking this trip!!

Kristen said...

BEST. ITALY. MAP. EVER.

Love it. Love you. I know you are going to have the most awesome time in the history of (wo)mankind. YAY!!!

Just Me said...

What a great schedule! The Lord watch over you and give you joy! I speak favor, as Jesus had, with God and all people! (That really is a cool map!) And you're actually meeting "A"lice and "A"lexander in "A"la. How fascinating! Chat soon!

Lesli Douglass said...

Dad would love the napkin, the map, the trip, the farms, the coffee, ALL of it and I will just state again, for the record, that I am soooooooo excited for you, Amber!!! Seeing your itinerary all laid out like this creates a vision in my mind for your trip and it looks BEAUTIFUL! I cannot, cannot wait to read and see and hear all about it. I love it! Bella Italia!!