Sunday, March 18, 2012

Introductions at First Farm

I arrived at my first destination which is Agriturismo Monticino located outside the city of Forli. Nevio picked me up from the train station with two other "wwoofers" from  Germany (Katarina& Ricarda) who were with him in the car to greet me and who spoke English.  So grateful for them b/c they gave me the run down and explained things quite well on what to expect.  I have learned from these two who have "wwoof"ed before that Monticino is very laid back and relaxed...Immediately I sat down with everyone for lunch upon arrival and had some pasta. They were all so welcoming and kind, by the end of the hour I felt like the transition was totally normal and as if I'd known these people for years. While it is relaxed I don't have a ton of time to write! So I must do this quickly.

My first impressions of Nevio is that he is a very busy man! We can't communicate a ton b/c of the language barrier but he is so nice, very weathered, always working & smiling. He (and the other men) wear camo pants a lot which makes me happy.  Here is a look at him on the phone & then hopping quickly in the car to go bird hunting with his son, dog & coworker. I'm already so happy here and feel like this is a great fit for me.  Everyone is so nice; I will post more photos later of the beauty of this place.



 Nevio and the other workers killed 3 pigs and today they are having a "pig party" ...it's a feast to welcome the spring, invite guests and other past clients who come to Monticino... I was able to help cut some of the fat up last night which was interesting to say the least. I adore bacon so I just kept telling myself that as I sliced the fat of the pig up. Was determined not to let the pig's eye and hoofs staring at me in the bucket sway my opinion of pork!  There is so much more to say & beautiful photos (besides pig) about my first 24 hours here but I'll start with saying that today is the Pig Feast and we are getting ready for that. People are starting to arrive and I need to help! I have a feeling it will be a full day.  Ciao for now... (hope these photos don't gross you out!)

5 comments:

Derrick Hoog said...

Loving your blog. I'm so happy for you. I know this will be a significant time in your life.

Briana said...

ahhh!! this makes me so happy! I love that you are feeling at home there, and it seems like such a great community!! What a gift. Love that you are slicing up the fat, too. No doubt you will have a much greater appreciation of bacon now!

Briana said...

and the photo of Nevio in his camo pants is awesome, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Amber, God is so good! I'm very happy you have a nice, relaxed place to work and experience!!! Looks so interesting and amazing!! I love you, Mom

Just Me said...

Hey Amber! What a BIG knife you have! Are you now an expert on dicing piggies? By the way, do you know if they use the pig fat for lard to make noodles and pie crusts and stuff? Curious. Ciao for now! (Well, until the next blog article! lol)