Thursday, March 8, 2012

Journaling & Time

Selecting a new journal is an important task for me & the time that I start one has a lot of significance.  I have been filling journals since I was about 14 with important moments, musings and prayers. No doubt, my Italy trip will go down in the books as an important one.  I found it yesterday in the bookstore and it immediately popped out at me. It was the fastest decision I'd made on a journal in a while. Usually I deliberate. Some of you journalers know what I am talking about.

Going to Italy was an idea that was realized when American Airlines gave me a generous voucher and I happened across a great flight. As I was booking my ticket around Thanksgiving, sitting on hold over the phone, I remembered I would be turning 35 a few months after my trip.  A lot of people say they forget their age...and exactly that had happened. I forgot that 35 came after 34. Truly, I did.  A waft of fear brushed across my face and I got hot... but then... I felt God sweetly hug me (in ways that God hugs us) and say, 'let's do this together to celebrate your birthday.'  I had called American three nights in a row, delaying my decision to jump for it...and it was at this moment, that I realized it was time to take the leap.  Sometimes I need a little push.

For the most part I have remained steady, enjoyed my very full life, trusting God for the things that I dream of.  But within the last year or so my heart  awoke to "reality" and it started to flutter.... At times I drown out that... flutter... with enjoying the present and then on other days I can hear it's undeniable syncopated rhythm whispering in my ear.  In the midsts of that and the fear that tries to stealthily cloak a hopeful, trusting heart ... I stand in the Barnes & Noble journal section scanning every beautiful cover they had and my eyes fall on this one. And I hear.... "I AM Lord of time." It felt like a pronouncement over that yucky fear. A trump. An authority silencing other false pronouncements that suddenly seemed really small.  He is the Great I Am. The God of the universe is saying He is Bigger.

 As the Psalm says (below), in his alarm he felt cut off from God's sight, which is indeed another word for that "flutter".  Like going down a steep hill on a roller coaster and feeling as though it might not land on the tracks.  But it's in that alarm that the choice must be made...to trust. So, while I patiently wait for earthly romance and other exciting things to take shape in their perfect time...currently I am hearing another Romance knock at my heart...and I'm excited about walking through that door once again for a new adventure.


Psalm 31:15...
"My times are in your hands, deliver me from my enemies and those who pursue me...How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you....In my alarm I said, "I am cut off from your sight!" Yet you heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help. Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD."

7 comments:

Briana said...

what a wonderful entry, Amber!! I am so excited to see where this Italy adventure takes you...both in heart and in body. I'm so glad you are doing it....setting out, hoping and dreaming of what may come. I will be following along here! love you.

Amber Beckham Photography said...

Thank you, Bri! Appreciate your support and friendship as a sister. love you.

Gretchen said...

awe! Amber, i'm so happy you get to spend your birthday present with Papa in Italy. How romantic! i will be praying you hear His every whisper... as he engraves them on your heart as echos in eternity.

Amanda Conley said...

beautifully written, Amber. I'm so excited for you as you begin this journey!

Lesli Douglass said...

Love this, Amber. Such a great truth: He IS God of time. I am literally on the edge of my seat to see what God has in store for you on this trip. I am so jealous of what you are doing--not in a weird way, but an enthusiastic, cheerleader way! I applaud your living in the moment and making the most of "today." Seize & savor the moments!! Love, Lesli

Just Me said...

Amber, very wonderful entry. Very encouraging. Our Papa God is such a lover of our souls! Reading your entry I just had to respond! It's exciting... motivating... warming! Bless you, friend! See you later!

Kristen said...

Oh, goodness. There is such truth there, sweet Amber. It's so easy to sometimes let time slip by, but He, He holds it ALL in His Hands... And every minute is remembered by Him. And it's all for a purpose. And remember, HIS Words do not return to Him void! So... This time - the weeks, moments, hours, and minutes - that you have in Italy is going to knock your socks off, I just know it! And I am totally excited to see what becomes of it!!